I had the privilege of spending some time with my mom today discussing the bible and some possible writing projects. She is full of wisdom and knowledge and council. I love to listen to her. She is an example of a Titus 2 woman, and someone that I hope to become like as I age.
I am 39. No longer a young woman, and yet, not quite a woman of wisdom that comes with years of experience and walking with the Lord. I still have some more seasoning to go through before that happens. I hope that one day I can say that I am a Titus 2 woman. One day, I hope that wisdom is part of my story.
In the meantime, I am like a first generation iron skillet. You know the ones I am talking about… they are heavy, and old looking, and appear to need a real cleaning to the untrained eye. But those of us that cook with them, we know the truth behind those layers of “gunk”. It’s seasoning.
Many times iron skillets are passed down from generation to generation. They don’t wear out and when they are cared for properly, they don’t rust either. Nothing we cook tastes quite as good as when it’s made in that old skillet. Those layers of seasoning and years of love that have been poured into it add an extra dimension of flavor to the food. Just like those old skillets, our older generation adds an extra dimension to our life. Through years of seasoning, they carry a wisdom and strength that we new pans just can’t compete with. They are to be treasured and cared for just as we care for that old skillet.
As for me, I am still a first generation skillet. I have been seasoned some, but not nearly as much as the generation before me. I add dimension and wisdom to this life, but only a fraction of what my mother, aunts and grandmother add. My layers are still thin and not yet filled with the flavor that comes with time, testing, and years of love. But my time will come and eventually I will be a valued old skillet that flavors the next generation.
Do you have any special Titus 2 women in your life? Have you told them lately how much they mean to you and how much you appreciate them? It might be time to do so, because before you know it, that Titus 2 woman will be you.
Titus 2:3-5 … older women are to be reverent in behavior, not slanderers, not addicted to much wine. They are to teach what is good,
so they may encourage the young women to love their husbands and to love their children, to be self-controlled, pure, homemakers, kind, and submissive to their husbands, so that God’s message will not be slandered.
No comments:
Post a Comment