Friday, August 10, 2012

Friday Orginal #5


Too often I am drawn to memories of the past - good and bad. I dwell on the bad and beat myself up about them, or melancholy takes over and I long for the good ol' days. The thing about the past is that when we try to hang on to it, we are swallowed up the waves and must struggle to free ourselves from their pull.

Instead, I need to focus on God.. on today.. and on what He has in store for my future. God doesn't dwell in our past. He lives in us now, and prepares our hearts for what is to come.

I pray that God remind me daily to embrace my daily bread and leave yesterday in the past.

I hope you enjoy....

Shifting Gaze


The rolling tides forever change the shore.
A new design is formed with ebb and flow.
The memories of yesterday will go
and disappear into the ocean floor.
The undertow awakens the allure
to grab the past from waters there below.
Alas! The crashing waves prevent it, though,
now swallowed by the sea forever more.

Conversely lift the gaze to that on high
where what has been gives way to what will be:
the future rests on billows far above.
Our maker of the earth and sea and sky
creates for us this model of the free.
The former gone; the new abides in Love.

Copyright © 2011 Mary Grace Wallace

No comments:

Post a Comment