Friday, August 3, 2012

3-in-one

I am a little behind on my posting. My new work schedule is a tough one to get used to and has interrupted my sleeping pattern which leaves me a tired and a bit lazy, if I’m being honest, but I’m adjusting. And I’m grateful for my job that God has provided for me.

Anyway, I am including 3 segments in one this week; Old Testament, A day in the life, and some creative writing.

I learned something new this week – words are powerful.
Okay, so that isn’t a new thought. I have heard it many times, but for some reason it really hit home for me the last few days. Then I read a quote on twitter that said this: Does your hunger for God make other people hungry?

Interesting thought which brought to mind this poem:

Temptation
The aroma of you teases my nose
as I'm walking through the door.
A mixture of salt and spice and sweet
I'm helpless to your allure.

The temptation of you builds in me
like fire it burns right through.
I feel your warmth and cannot resist
as I draw closer to you.

Then giving in I reach out my hand,
your decadence I embrace.
The anticipation fills my mind
and my heart begins to race.

As I close my eyes and part my lips
I'm driven by just one goal:
Your succulent taste upon my tongue,
oh lovely cinnamon roll.
Copyright © 2010 Mary Grace Wallace

The words of that poem took your mind somewhere, right? Words alone created a sense of urgency and desire. Desire is not a bad thing. One look at the Song of Songs in the Old Testament and we understand that desire is not sinful. God did not intend for desire to become a sinful matter. We did that on our own by desiring things that are not in alignment with God.

Psalm 42:1 compares our longing for the Lord as a deer that pants for the waters of the brook. We thirst for Him. And Psalm 37:4 tells us that if we delight ourselves in the Lord, He will give us the desires of our heart. Desire isn’t a bad thing, and if we are focused on God, then our heart is aligned with Him and our desires are good in His sight.

So… that poem took us to a place of desire, by using merely words. Words are powerful.

Recently, I was in a situation where I was asked about my convictions. Why did I read the bible? Why did I do daily devotionals and pray? Why did I try to avoid things like gossip and raunchy conversation? As I stood there looking into the eyes of the curious, I didn’t know what to say. Inside I was screaming, “because I am saved through the Grace of Jesus Christ, who renews my heart and mind with new mercies each morning! He is my Savior, He is my Lord and He is the one thing I value most – above all else – and living according to His standard is my privilege and the least I can do for the shedding of His blood for me.”

But I didn’t say that. Sadly, I took that wonderful opportunity to proclaim the good news of the gospel and talk about my savior, and I simply said this: “It is my personal conviction and the way I choose to live my life. It makes me happy.”

As soon as I said it, my heart ached. I wanted to take the words back and boldly proclaim my Savior to them, but the moment had passed and the window of opportunity to plant that seed had closed for now.

Words are powerful… Are you using yours to tell the world about Jesus, to proclaim the gospel and explain your desire for Him? Or are you like me, and squandering the opportunities that are presented to you for fear of judgment because you are trying to fly under the radar and be liked?

Yeah… I don’t want to worry about being liked anymore. I want to be so consumed by desire for my Lord that every word that comes out of my mouth will bring people to a place of desire for Him as well. I want my hunger to make them hungry.

This is my prayer today… and every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment