Daniel 6:21-23 Daniel answered, “Long live the king! My God sent his angel to shut the lions’ mouths so that they would not hurt me, for I have been found innocent in his sight. And I have not wronged you, Your Majesty.” The king was overjoyed and ordered that Daniel be lifted from the den. Not a scratch was found on him, for he had trusted in his God.
Daniel was thrown into the lions’ den and lived without a scratch on him. Think about that for a minute…
Daniel was a man who was obedient to God before all things in his life. He learned how to balance being under earthly authority with being under God’s authority. Through his unwavering faithfulness to God, he was given the wisdom to earn trust and favor from his earthly authorities. It is amazing to read about the life of Daniel and see the Hand of God (literally in one case) lead him through. Daniel’s position increased as his earthly authority changed several times through the course of his lifetime, but his Heavenly authority remained constant and unchanging. And Daniel was obedient.
If Daniel received so much favor, then how did he end up in a lion’s den?
Two words: Jealousy and Pride
The administrators and the high officers of the king saw how well Daniel was doing and they were jealous. They tried hard to find fault in him, but because he was a man of integrity and was faithful and trustworthy, they could find no fault in him. So, they went to the king and praised his majesty. They told the king how worthy and wonderful he was. By appealing to his pride, they tricked the king into signing a law that if a person was caught praying to anyone other than the king, that person would be sentenced to death through the lions’ den. Daniel refused to disobey his God and continued his daily routine of prayer. Not only did Daniel refuse to go against his God, but he also refused to pray to Him in secret. He worshiped him in plain sight, just as he had always done.
The king had no choice but to follow through with the law and throw Daniel to the lions. We know the rest of the story… God protected Daniel and rewarded him for his obedience and faithfulness, and miraculously he was unharmed.
This story teaches me two things. First, it is possible to remain faithful and trustworthy with my integrity intact while I am serving my earthly authority, and yet still remain 100% obedient to God. Even when faced with terrible outcomes, nothing is as bad as facing a lions’ den. If Daniel could remain faithful in his horrific circumstance, I can remain faithful in my minor one. No one is threatening my life for being obedient to God. No matter how bad it seems, I have to remember that my God is faithful and he is bigger than any circumstance I face.
Second, I learned that when I am faithful to God, and God’s favor comes in my life, there will be those people who are jealous and want to see me fall. Just as the administrators and officers of king Darius tried to get rid of Daniel because of their jealousy, I will have opposition in my life as well.
Who are the king’s officers in your life? And will you remain faithful to God, even if it appears to bring you harm?
No comments:
Post a Comment