I love the smell of a real Christmas tree.
Every year, we buy a real tree and the routine is the same. Buy the tree, bring it home, set it up in the stand with water, and then wait for the branches to fall before we begin decorating.
This year was no different, and as I watched this pretty little tree open up and settle in over a few days time, I was surprised at how much anticipation was building the longer it remained bare. The kids were talking about the ornaments, and we were checking our schedules as a family to find the perfect time to decorate it. That lovely tree had a purpose, and we all knew exactly what it was. It would bring beauty and joy and comfort to our home during the Christmas holiday season.
As I strung the lights around the tree one morning, I found myself wishing that my purpose in life was as clear as this tree. Later that evening as the family hung ornaments on the tree, I realized that the memories captured in each ornament added such beauty and character to it. And when we were finished, we all sat back and admired the lights and the ornaments that reflected them back at us.
The following morning, as I sat in the living room by the light of the Christmas tree for my quiet time, I asked God about my purpose for being here. He reminded me of this scripture:
Ecclesiastes 3:1
To everything there is a season, A time for every purpose under heaven
God reminded me that we are all like that tree. We are put into place to open up our hearts and settle into our relationship with God. We wait in anticipation for God to reveal our purpose, for God to use us for His Glory. Then, when we allow ourselves to be wrapped in the Light of Christ, and that Light reflects off the memories and events that have occurred in our life to all those around us, we are finally fulfilling our purpose here.
We are to be a reflection of His Light to the world. That Light should shine from our daily life into the lives of all those around us.
So simple a purpose we have: To spread the Light and Love of Christ to the world.
Where are you in this season? Are you still growing in the woods or have you been placed where you should be just waiting in anticipation?
Our challenge is to take whatever season in which we find ourselves and live it fully for Christ. If we are still growing, then grow in the knowledge and love of God. If we are waiting in anticipation, then offer that up as a sacrifice to Him. If we are already fully decorated, then use those decorations to reflect His light to the world.
Where ever we are – we are in a season that has been designated by God Almighty, and we need to simply remember that and remain focused on Him. Our lives are not for ourselves, but for His Glory alone.
No comments:
Post a Comment